Your Todoist is important to your life. We get that. That’s why we’re always working on ways to make both of them a lot simpler.
With the release of Android N, we’re rolling out brand-new features that will make keeping track of all the things you need to get done even easier. With this update, you’ll spend less time in the Todoist app and more time doing the things you love.
Here’s what you’ll be able to do with this latest update (and there’s a lot to be excited about!):
- Create and organize your tasks faster than ever with smart Quick add everywhere on your Android device
- Keep your favorite views a tap away with App Shortcuts (Android 7.1 & higher)
- Answer collaborators’ comments right from your notifications with in-line replies
- Use Todoist alongside your other apps with multi-window support
- Find your tasks and projects faster than ever with In Apps search, and
- Master your to-do list with keyboard shortcuts for Android
Get the update, then read on to learn how to get the most out of your new Todoist features on Android N:
Create and organize your tasks fast with Quick Add everywhere
With so many of us living such fast-paced lives, it’s important to be able to jot down a task or set a quick reminder without breaking the flow what you’re already doing. That’s why we’re bringing Todoist’s signature smart Quick Add to even more places on your phone.
With Quick Add everywhere, you’ll be able to add a task, set a due date, organize it into a project, add a priority level, and assign it to a collaborator in seconds without ever having to open the Todoist app. Our smart language recognition will automatically recognize each piece of information and create and organize your task accordingly.
Now you can use Quick Add:
When you share content (like links) from other apps as Todoist tasks:
From the Todoist widgets on your homescreen:
To include the Todoist tile at the top of your Quick Settings:
- Swipe down from the top of your screen to open Quick Settings
- Tap the edit button at the top (version 7.1 and later) or bottom (version 7.0) of the menu
- Press and hold on the Todoist icon and drag it to where you want it
And from the Todoist Add Task notification (Android M and earlier):
When you add a task using Quick Add from any of these places (“everywhere!”), you’ll see it next time you open your Todoist, and you’ll be able to manage it the same way as any other task.
Keep your favorite views a tap away with App Shortcuts (Android 7.1 & higher)
This latest version of Todoist takes advantage of a brand-new Android feature called App Shortcuts! Todoist shortcuts let you add a task, open your Today list, search for a task, and open your last task view – directly from your home screen.
To access Todoist shortcuts, first make sure your phone is running Android 7.1 or higher. Then, press and hold the Todoist icon to pull up the list of shortcuts.
The best part is, you can save any of these shortcuts as an icon on your home screen. That means you can keep all your most important task views – including 7 days, projects, labels, searches, and filters – a single tap away. To save a specific task view:
- Open the view you want to save in Todoist, then navigate to your home screen.
- Long-press on the Todoist icon to open shortcuts.
- The last view you opened will be at the top of the list. Drag and drop it to your home screen to create a permanent shortcut.
Reply to collaborator comments from your notifications
Whether it’s Got it! or Wait! Don’t send that yet!!!, sometimes you need to say something to your collaborators faster than fast. Now you can send off a quick reply to new comments right from your notifications, saving you navigation, distraction, and (most importantly) time:
Use Todoist alongside your other apps
We’ve all been there: you need to take a phone number, an address, or something else from one app and put it into another. That’s especially true when adding and managing tasks like Call the doctor or Pick up van from Craigslist. A back-and-forth game of highlight-copy-and-paste-close-app-open-app-reopen-the-other-app-because-it-didn’t-actually-copy-what-you-wanted-etc-etc inevitably ensues. But no longer…
Now, Todoist supports multi-window functionality so you can view your task list on one half of your screen and your calendar, a video, text messages, or, well, anything else, on the other.
You can launch multi-window mode with Todoist in one of two ways:
- Open the Overview screen on your Android device and long press on the title at the top of one of your recent Todoist activities. Then drag that activity to the highlighted portion of your screen to put it in multi-window mode. Or,
- Long press on the Overview button with Todoist open on your screen. Your device will put your current Todoist activity into multi-window mode and open up the Overview screen to let you choose a second activity to share the screen.
You’ll never waste time switching back and forth between apps again, and that makes it easier than ever to spend more time getting things done.
Find your tasks and projects faster than ever with In Apps search
Todoist users are busy people. Some of you have literally dozens of projects with hundreds of tasks. Each. Now it’s easier than ever to find the exact one you’re looking for, fast.
Google recently launched In Apps search that allows you to quickly find content from inside installed apps on your Android device. We’ve worked with Google as an early partner to include Todoist tasks and projects in your In Apps search results.
Just open up the Google app on your phone, select the In Apps tab, and begin typing in the keyword of any task or project in the search bar:
We’re excited to be one of the first apps supported in In Apps! We think it will go a long way in helping you quickly manage your tasks on mobile.
Master your to-do list with keyboard shortcuts for Android
With Android app compatibility beginning to roll out for Chromebooks and the Chrome OS, we’re getting ahead of the game – Todoist now supports all the desktop keyboard shortcuts you’ve come to know, use, and love. (In the meantime, you can take advantage of them with any external bluetooth keyboard and your Android device.)
You can start using all of these new features on Todoist for Android today:
As always, if you happen to find a bug or are have an awesome idea to make Todoist even better, let us know at support.todoist.com. We really appreciate it!